How To Enable the cURL Extension on XAMP / WAMP (Windows) March 4, 2012Posted by Tournas Dimitrios in PHP.
cURL , a free and easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library , supports almost all common Internet protocols : http , https , Ftp , Ldap , Imap , POP , SCP , Smtp , Telnet …… Since curl uses libcurl , a reliable and portable library which provides you with an easy interface to a range protocols , curl supports the same Internet protocols that libcurl does . Some examples where cURL could be used are : uploading/downloading files , querying/updating social media websites (Twitter , Facebook ) , interconnecting with a plethora of web-services (Google-Calnedar , Google-Documents …. ) , sending Mail from a different Mail-server , …… And not to forget that behind this excellent tool is Daniel Stenberg , project leader and main developer .
As you may know, PHP has no native support for multithreading like Java, but using the cURL extension makes multithreading possible in PHP.
Almost all web-hosts have this extension enabled (cURL) , so there shouldn’t be problem to implement many of its functionality . A good practice is to test our web-applications on a local development environment before releasing the code to a live server . Though , this extension isn’t enabled by default on Wamp / Xamp , so a few steps must be done prior cURL can be used on our local environment .
- Open a browser and visit a phpinfo() page , locate the “Loaded Configuration File” directive . It will point the path of PHP’s central configuration file . A common path could be : C:\xampp\php\php.ini
- Open php.ini , as located from previous step , with your favorite editor .
- Un-comment the directive “extension=php_curl.dll” by removing the ; (semicolon) from the beginning of the line
- Copy the following dll’s from your PHP installation directory into C:/windows/System32 folder
ssleay32.dll — libeay32.dll — php_curl.dll
- Restart your Wamp / Xamp server .
Paste the following code into a PHP-file and access it via your browser . It should display Google’s home page :
<?php //Initializes a new session and return a cURL handle for use with the curl_setopt(), curl_exec() and curl_close() functions $curl = curl_init() ; //Sets an option on the given cURL session handle like url, timeout, return transfer curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_URL, "http://scholar.google.gr/schhp?hl=el"); curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 30); curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true); // Execute the given cURL session (get the content of the url and put it into the output variable) $output = curl_exec($curl); // Outputs the result echo $output; // Print the curl info like http response code, content type etc. echo "<pre>"; print_r (curl_getinfo($curl)); echo "</pre>"; // close the curl handle to free system resources curl_close($curl) ;
Read also :
- PHP Basics: Accessing Remote URLs using cURL
- Build a Visitor Tracking System for your Website with PHP