Creating a Lightbox Gallery on Moodle September 10, 2011Posted by Tournas Dimitrios in Moodle.
A lightbox gallery is a group of pictures uploaded by an instructor that acts as a slide show when activated by students. It is a useful tool for instructors who use a lot of images to supplement their lessons and/or class discussions. In this post we will go through the process of creating a picture gallery in Moodle using a resource called Lightbox gallery .
Here are the steps :
- Login your Moodle course-page .
- Administration-Block->Files -> Make-a-folder : to create a folder
- Administration-Block->Files : Select the folder that was created in previous step
- Click on “Upload a file” and upload a picture , repeat this process until all images are uploaded
- Download the resource-plugin ” Lightbox Gallery” from here .
- Unzip the plugin and upload the folder and it’s contents into your /mod folder in your Moodle install (via FTP) .
- After uploading , login as admin and visit your Admin/Notifications page (you’ll find this page at http://yoursite.com/moodle/admin/index.php) , which will setup the required database tables and complete the installation .
To create an image gallery, turn editing on in the upper right corner of your course page, go to the “Add a resource” drop-down menu, and select “Add a lightbox gallery” . On the next page , give a name and a short description to your image gallery . Next , from the drop-down box select the directory that contains the images you want to display in the gallery . Choose how many images per page you want to be displayed , and check if you want to allow automatic image resizing . If you have large images, it’s a good idea to choose “Screen,” which means that large images will be automatically resized to fit inside the user’s screen . When done, click on “Save and display.”
Clicking on any thumbnail will bring an image into focus. To move to the next image , click anywhere on the right side of the image. To go back to the previous image, click anywhere on the left side. To close an image, click on the “Close” icon. To add new images to the existing gallery, click the “Add image” link -> “Browse,” find the image you want to add, click “Open” and “Add image.” When you go back to your gallery, you can see the new image there.
Finally, the Lightbox gallery allows you to do some basic editing of your images. When you click on “Turn editing on” in the upper right corner, a drop-down menu will appear for each image. From this menu, you can choose the basic editing features, such as cropping, resizing, rotating, creating captions, and deleting images .
See an Demonstration of this plugin on my server , login as guest account .