New Features on WordPress 3.2 August 7, 2011Posted by Tournas Dimitrios in Wordpress - 3.
Without doubt , WordPress is one of the most popular personal publishing and CMS platforms on the Web ( more than 40million installations ) . On July 4 2011 , the “faster and lighter,” WordPress 3.2 was released with the codename “Gershwin” (George Gershwin : composer and pianist ) . While the official website list all improvements of this release , I’ll list these features that impressed me more :
- Requires the new version of PHP5.2 ( old requirement since WordPress 2.5 was PHP 4.3 or greater ) and Mysql5.0 ( old requirement since WordPress 2.9 was Mysql 4.1 or greater ) , which allows WordPress to take advantage of more features enabled by new technologies .
- A new theme Twenty Eleven : It takes advantage of all WordPress theme features like widgets , custom headers , post thumbnails , etc . It also allows you to rotate or have “random” headers , so visitors won’t see the same boring image every single time they visit your page .
Here is the description from the official website :
The 2011 theme for WordPress is sophisticated , lightweight, and adaptable. Make it yours with a custom menu, header image, and background — then go further with available theme options for light or dark color scheme, custom link colors, and three layout choices. Twenty Eleven comes equipped with a Showcase page template that transforms your front page into a showcase to show off your best content, widget support galore (sidebar, three footer areas, and a Showcase page widget area), and a custom “Ephemera” widget to display your Aside, Link, Quote, or Status posts. Included are styles for print and for the admin editor, support for featured images (as custom header images on posts and pages and as large images on featured “sticky” posts), and special styles for six different post formats .
- Faster page loads : The developers of WordPress have analyzed the most used pages and optimized them for speed . Also the WP_Filesystem is optimized , this will make updates over the dashboard quicker and less error prone (error : time exceed) and uploads through FTP much faster .
- Usability improvements for users as for administrators : The visual editor has improved with some nice features ( toggle fullscreen mode tool ) , the admin menu titles are renamed from Post – Page – Links to “All Posts ” – ” All Pages ” – “All Links ” ( effective for new users )
- The Admin Bar : ( the gray bar at the top of WordPress when you’re logged in ) a lot of functionality is now immediately available from the Admin Bar ( no need to go through the Dashboard ) .
- Drop Internet Explorer 6 support and Start End-of-life (EOL) cycle for Internet Explorer 7
- WordPress 3.2 has tons of minor changes , visit the official site for a detailed list .
Related links :