FTP access your Server via WordPress site with eXtplorer July 28, 2011Posted by Tournas Dimitrios in Wordpress - 3.
FTP is the acronym for File Transfer Protocol , a protocol for transferring files . Your FTP software (FTP-client ) connects to another computer connected to the Internet (FTP-server) using a host-name , user name and password to upload (or download) files and content . Many repositories or universities have publicly available Ftp servers where users can download files (usually open source applications ) . Web developers use FTP clients to manage their websites . There are dozen’s of FTP client available :
- Command-line based : Open your DOS terminal and write ftp ftp.ntua.gr and pass anonymous as your username and your email address for password to get access to the publicly available files
- Browser based : Firefox has a nice add-on “FireFTP“
- Desktop based : Filezilla is probably the most used GUI desktop FTP-client
- On-Line ftp clients : net2ftp – A web-based FTP client
- eXplorer : It is a web-based File Manager. You can use it to create a FTP client into your WordPress installation , create users with different passwords and access levels (permissions) .
The only thing you have to do , is upload the eXplorer folder into your WordPress tree and assign users / permissions rules . Users via their browser , can reach this FTP client (log-in) and access only folders they have permissions to .