How to Protect Your WordPress Blog from Spam comments July 5, 2011Posted by Tournas Dimitrios in Wordpress - 3.
Spam comments oftentimes contain many hyperlinks to other websites, which causes your PageRank to be stolen and passed on to the domains being linked to. This could be harmful for your blog in the long run, and it doesn’t appear professional to your visitors that are reading spam comments below your real content .
The reason that spam comments are harmful to your blog is due to the links that they attempt to post, and the keywords that they throw on your pages. If enough spam comments get permitted, Google may suspect your website to be spam itself, and this could result in your domain name being sandboxed, or permanent PageRank 0 for all pages , making it very difficult to receive traffic .
It’s unusual and I would say inconvenient for the visitor of your blog , to implement captcha protection on the comment sections of your articles . A better approach is to automate the protection by the help of two plug-ins . I use these two plug-ins a couple years now and their accuracy is over 99% , most importantly , they are free .
- Akismet : This plug-in is installed by default on WordPress.com and on the self-hosted version . It filters out known comment spammers that are registered on their blacklist database.
Self-hosted WordPress blogs have to take a couple of extra steps for Akismet to work for them .
- First register at WordPress.com ( yes , the place that hosts WordPress.com Blogs )
By registering a new Blog you get automatically an Akismet key
- Log-in to your WordPress.com blog -> Admin-Panel -> Users-Tab -> My-Profile -> On top of screen click on link ” Were you looking for your API Key and other Personal Settings? ” -> On top of the new window click on ” You can get your API key direct from Akismet now ” -> You are redirected to Akismet home page -> On top of screen click on link ” Already have an API key? ” -> On the new window write the email that your WordPress.com was registered and click ” Continue ” -> In a couple seconds you will receive an email with your Akismet API key .
- Log-out of WordPress.com
- Goto your email and copy the API key
- Log-in your self-hosted WordPress
- Admin-Panel -> Plugins -> Activate Akismet plugin
A message appear on top of window ” Akismet is almost ready . You must enter your Akismet API key for it to work ” . Click on the link
- Enter your Akismet API key and click ” Update options ” .
- Congratulations !! you get a message
” Your key has been verified . Happy Blogging! “