Installing extensions on Joomla 1.6 June 18, 2011Posted by Tournas Dimitrios in Joomla-1.6.
When using Joomla you can easily extend the funtionality of your website by adding Joomla extensions. There are many types of Joomla extensions you can add to your Joomla-site such as components, modules, plugins, which allow you to change the look and-or functionality of your website . The extra functionality can range from SEO , security to multilingual eCommerce ( VirtueMart – Joomfish ) .Although the official site provides over 8000 extensions , not all of them are compatible with all versions of Joomla . The latest version of Joomla ( at time of writing this article ) is 1.6.3 , so the selected extension must be compatible for this version .
There are five types of Joomla extensions that you can use to add functionality to your website:
- Components can be considered as mini-applications. A component can add a completely new functionality to your website. Components can vary from search engines to entire shopping cart solutions. Each component is driven by a menu and each menu item runs a component. You can manage your components through the sub-items of the “Components” menu in your Joomla administrative panel. Each component has two parts – back-end that allows you to configure and manage its content and a front-end that displays your information in the selected way.
- Modules are more lightweight extensions that display information on your website. They can be attached to a component or display information even if they are not attached to a component. Actually, they can display everything – from static HTML to complex slide shows. Your modules can be managed through the Extensions -> Module Manager page in your Joomla back-end admin panel.
- Plugins are usually used to add extra functionality to your website. They are complex extensions that handle different events. For example, plugins can allow you to embed movies to your articles, show tool- tips and many other different types of functionality. The legacy name of the plugins is “Mambots“. You can manage your plugins from the Extensions -> Plugin Manager page in your Joomla administrative area.
- Templates specify the way your website looks. The Joomla template handles the entire design of your pages. In addition, the template specifies in which parts of your page the different module positions are displayed. You can change the default template of your website from the Extensions -> Template Manager menu in your Joomla admin area.
- Languages are core packages that translate the entire Joomla interface of your administrative panel and/or the front-end of your website. You can manage the already installed languages in your Joomla application through the Extensions -> Language Manager menu.
Installing extensions on Joomla 1.6 :
Previous versions of Joomla use a slightly different method of installing extensions
- Download the extension from the official website or from a site that you trust on your local computer . Make sure you download the extension for your Joomla version .
- Go to your Joomla admin area > Extensions -> Extension Manager
- In the ” Upload Package File” section browse to the downloaded extension on you local computer and press upload & Install
- Some components need an extra step to complete their installation :
- Modules , Plug-ins , language and Templates via Extensions menu
- Components via Component menu