Upgrading firefox and installing flash player 10 on Red hat 4.1 December 13, 2010Posted by Tournas Dimitrios in Linux.
Recently I decided to install the graphical environment on a Red Hat 4.1 box . It was just a box for testing my server applications . The default browser was Firefox 1.5 without flash plug-in . These are the steps that I followed to upgrade Firefox (the same procedure can be applied on a CentOs box ).
Just use the following instructions to download and install Firefox :
- Visit official website to grab latest version. You can also use wget command to download Firefox.
$ cd /tmp
$ wget ‘http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6&os=linux〈=en-US’
- First close all running old Firefox 1.x sessions. Login as the root and type the following command to move old Firefox 1 and install Firefox 3 under Linux:
# cd /opt
# mv firefox firefox.old
# cp /tmp/firefox-3.6.tar.bz2 .
# tar -jxvf firefox-3.6.tar.bz2
- To start Firefox, enter: $ /opt/firefox/firefox &
- Follow the instructions to download the rpm package for the Flash player 10.1 . Store the package on /tmp directory , now close your browser session , and install the rpm package as root with the usual way :
# cd /tmp
# rpm -i flashplayer-instal.xxx.xxx.rpm
- Now visit with your browser the official site to confirm that your Firefox is updated with the plug-in.